Sunday, May 30, 2010

Reconsidering Blogging

Hello. Long time no see. It's been a while :-)

It's been a long, long time since I wrote a decent post for this blog. It's not that I haven't been inspired, but so many other things - I believe it's called life - have gotten in the way. And indeed, most of the time, the inspiration hasn't taken me. I've gone back into the workforce after the Canberra adventure and lurched along from one Research Assistantship to another, dabbled in sociology, travelled a bit. I've also been fixated by Facebook, but have hardly glanced upon Twitter. And indeed, it is these two media that have prompted me to take a second look at blogging. Facebook is a whole other topic, but I don't understand the point of Twitter. Why would you only allow 140 characters? Only the most erudite and eloquent will be able to generate anything of any worth in 140 characters, the rest is guff, Facebook status updates writ small and more self-obsessed still.

I came back to this blog after so long and sniffed around the websites I used to visit daily, sometimes several times a day. So many people have fallen off blogging: perhaps it's time has truly gone, or made way for the instantaneous-ness of Facebook and Twitter? But there are some that are still active and that I still visit: political blogs, craft blogs and sports blogs.

Anyway. Perhaps we could start a conversation again - or I can just use this as my out-loud journal again ;-) We'll see.

4 comments:

Mridula said...

I still blog a lot but I am on Twitter too. My handle is @mridulad in case you ever wish to check :D I too thought 140 words is too less initially but I think what goes in favor of twitter is the sped with which news spreads via retweets. Give it a try gradually you might like it.

Mahesh said...

i had a sudden urge to look at my blog yesterday. then i started to visit all the blogs that i used to routinely read a couple of years ago.

i felt exactly the same way as you- that "life" somehow got in the way of blogging, even though i still had the inspiration to write stuff....

flygirl said...

How good to hear from yo both! Mahesh, I am back here for the same reason - to go and look at a bunch of old blogs for solace!

Nina John said...

Thanks for some other great article. Where else could anybody get that type of information in such a perfect method of writing? I have a presentation subsequent week, and Im on the look for such information.
Cardsharing Server